The Road Safety Program is part of the Australian Government’s ongoing commitment to reducing the number of deaths and serious injuries on our roads. This funding supports the fast roll out of lifesaving road safety treatments on rural and regional roads and greater protection for vulnerable road users like cyclists and pedestrians in urban areas.
The program supports safety improvements on state highways and arterial roads, through the application of safety treatments including:
- shoulder sealing and the installation of rumble strips to support the safe return of vehicles from the shoulder into the travel lane
- physical barriers to prevent run off road crashes
- median treatments to prevent head-on vehicle collisions.
Projects are identified in partnership with state and territory governments. The Australian Government contributes 80% towards projects in regional areas with the state or territory government making up the remaining 20%. In urban areas, the funding of projects is a 50-50 split between the Australian Government and the relevant state or territory government.
Funding is offered on a ‘use it or lose it’ basis in six-month tranches.
Approved tranche three projects
Road safety projects to receive funding under tranche three of the Road Safety Program were announced in February 2022.
View details of funded projects in each state and territory.
Australian Capital Territory
New South Wales
Learn more about projects funded through tranche one in each state and territory. To view the location of awarded projects also check our map.